Saturday, January 21, 2006

Marinara Sauce

This is my first attempt at using pen and watercolor. I've been inspired by looking at sketches from members of the everydaymatters group and have always wanted to try it. I used a .03 micron pen and then added the watercolor washes. The micron did run a bit in a few places, including the garlic. It actually helped with giving the garlic a grayish look.

These are some of the ingredients used to make a marinara sauce this afternoon. The spaghetti squash will be the vehicle for eating the sauce!

13 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! GREAT ink lines and watercolor!

5:21 PM  
Blogger paula said...

Beautiful! I hve really enjoyed doing pen sketches and atting watercolor, although my sketches are not as well articulated as yours are. This is a wonderful thing to do when travelling. Beats the postcards and photos! -paula

5:56 PM  
Blogger seesue said...

Jennafer, this is a wonderful tribute to 'le vegie'. Love it big time.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Well done. That onion in particular is superb. :o)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Jennafer - this is your first attempt?? It is wonderful. I've never tried it myself. I am convinced that washes are difficult but maybe I should revise that thinking. Great work. I'll look forward to seeing more of your work

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also very impressed that this is your first attempt! It's really very good. Maybe I should give it a try....

8:07 PM  
Blogger MD said...

Lovely!!!
MD

1:22 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Wonderfully done. You got the "roundness" of the veggies just right! The Micron will run a bit with a watercolor wash if you add the watercolor too soon, but won't if you let it settle into the paper for a couple of minutes. Also, some inks may be "waterproof", but they are not "brushproof" and will smudge if you do a lot of heavy brushwork over them. Great job! :-)

6:06 AM  
Blogger Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

Great job.....well done

1:17 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Pequignot said...

I love pen and ink... it is my favorite. Congrats on trying the technique. Your sketch came out great. I look forward to more drawings!

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful study!

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Could you do a venison steak next time? Preferably raw, but don't add too much fat marbling, as deer are wild and do not have much fat. heehee...

- Only from your brother

6:57 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

This is wonderful Love the colo in the squash! Garlic look great too.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home